Sunday, March 26, 2006

Blast from the past

When I was in middle school I had friends. Not just any friends, the BEST friends. There were five of us in the 7th grade, tight as could be. Marlene, Charlene, Maryjean, Lisa and myself. Often times one pair would get in a little tiff and so our dynamics would change for a bit, but we were "The Five". In eighth grade we weren't a unit anymore but I was still friends with them and considered them all to be my very best friends...especially Marlene, Lisa and Maryjean.

Well as an adult I found them again (those three). Lisa and I talk on the average at least once a week. We get together when we can but her daughter is in 90238409765 different things and that keeps them pretty busy. Marlene never answered any of my e-mails. Maryjean did for a while and then things just sort of stopped.

Tonight MJ showed up at the bowling alley. I recognized her right away, she looks pretty much the same. Which of course makes me feel like shit. I'm fat, my hair is thinning and my face is all broken out thanks to mother nature. She looks the SAME!! She's still slightly heavy but not much (I totally have waist envy, she has one...I don't). She looks so good!!! The only thing I don't remember is glasses, I don't think she wore glasses back then. She's got a young daughter too. Well I gave her a card with my name, number, e-mail and address. I doubt she'll call though. I got the impression by how she was interacting with me around her friends, that she's something of a snob now. Still, it was nice to see her.

I really miss my friends. Those are the only two years I'd be willing to repeat. Even though they were the years where the abuse from my Mom started getting much worse and I was miserable at home...it's the ONLY time in my life as a kid where I had real friends.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Wow. This brings back memories for me. I'm very proud that you put yourself out there, and gave MJ your information...when I see old aquaintences from HS, I hide. I don't want to do the whole small talk...I don't want them to judge me...I have no desire to know what is happening in their lives. Maybe someday that will change - until then, I keep all eyes on the Exits.

Anonymous said...

I'm like Kat ... so kudos to you Dai!